A gynecologist, also simply known as an OB-GYN is a doctor that specializes in women’s’ health and obstetrics. Scheduling an appointment with them can be intimidating. Gynecologists are trained to make your visit as comfortable as possible, without any awkward feelings. However, it is really important to see one at least once a year. It can be a costly affair and so it would be best to have insurance or save up for a yearly visit. Visiting will not only help you with your body, it is an important part of your general health and wellbeing. You should visit a gynecologist for the following reasons;
- Pap smear – A pap smear is a test for cervical cancer. It involves collecting cell samples from the cervix, which is then tested for cancer. Cancer cells can be detected and can lead to immediate treatment, which in turn increases the chances of cure. Doctors recommend taking this test once you attain the age of 21, and at 3-year intervals. There are certain risk factors that make you prone to getting cervical cancer. It is proper to continuously visit a gynecologist to capture the incidence of this chronic illness in good time.
- Breast cancer examinations – Taking a mammogram test is done by a gynecologist. People with a high risk of infection are the people who have a family history of breast cancer infections. Examinations should be done at least once a year for early detection in order to save lives.
- Prenatal and postnatal care – Visiting an OB-GYN before you get pregnant provides valuable medical information and genetic composition information that will be useful during the pregnancy phase. This information will help in reducing any risk factors that might be available during pregnancy.
- Ultrasound screening – Taking an ultrasound screening will help you detect problems such as breast cancer. It is also helpful when checking the condition of pregnancy and how the child is fairing.
- For the HPV vaccine – There is a vaccine developed for the Huma Papillomavirus that can be administered to people aged 9 to 45 years. It is used to protect against genital warts and/or different types of HPV that can cause cancer. For children, it is recommended for them to get the vaccine at the age of 11 years, to ensure they are fully protected, years before they are sexually active. Talking to the gynecologist will help you identify whether the vaccine will be good for you or not. If you already have had an HPV infection, getting the vaccine will not treat it, but it will protect you from getting other forms of HPV. It is important to note that even if you have been vaccinated, getting more HPV tests is important as that does not mean that you are fully protected.
- Reproductive health – In general, your reproductive health is important. A gynecologist will teach you the proper way of taking care of your body. They will help you understand your body and to have an idea of when something is not going right. They will also give you information on birth control measures and the best that would work for you.
- Counseling services – OB-GYNs offer counseling services to individuals as well as to couples. The main aim of birth control is to control unwanted pregnancies. The type of contraceptive you choose is a personal decision based on a number of considerations, which you are advised towards by the gynecologist. It is important to remember that all birth control measures are not 100% effective. They all have a downside.
With these options, you should make time to visit the gynecologist, for your general reproductive health.